Saturday, November 8, 2008

THE UPSHOT

Today my brother-in-law was here visiting from a small community. He was going to get a gun before "Obama will make it practically impossible," and invited my husband to come along. I thought he was being melodramatic.

Four hours later he came home empty handed. First they had gone to a gun store (not a sports store that sells guns--but an actual gun store.) They were all sold out of most guns and ammunition! Next they went to a sports store where the gun counter was so packed with people they had hard time getting help. They were also sold out of most guns and ammo. Same thing with the next store.

Here's the upshot: This doesn't have much to do with guns but what people are thinking is going to happen once BO takes office. Was there a run on guns and ammo when either Bushs or Clinton took office? I doubt it. Did the stock market have a record drop for 2 days straight following the past elections? No--hence the word RECORD. (Side note: Media Gripe #452 On Nov 5, I checked the news several times to see what the stock market was doing. Not until it dropped so low that it became a record did the media report it on their front pages because they couldn't ignore it any longer and still be called "fair and balanced.") People with money and people with guns are nervous. I am too. OB is inheriting the problems with the economy and I'm truly hoping he will be able to help, but I don't think he's the CHANGE this country needs right now.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Not unless HE is the actual one that CHANGES. Changes from every thing he has ever said and done. Possible? I don't think so. Well it turns out that most of us smart people are clinging to guns and religion.

JLJ said...

See, my spouse was out looking for ammo too. But not because he was afraid it would become scarce, but because he was afraid of what might happen in our neighborhood if B.O. lost!