Wednesday, November 5, 2008

ALL'S QUIET ON THE HOME FRONT

Last night I had a meeting which lasted about 2 hours. I purposely didn't listen to the reports before so I would be able to concentrate at my meeting. In the past, we have always stayed up to watch the results as they were called. I remember 8 years ago, when #2 was just a week old and my mom was staying with us, we stayed up til early morning watching and waiting with the rest of the nation.

On my way home I called my husband to see if I should pick up some treats--anticipating another late night. He had turned off the TV an hour before that and was working out.

Once I got home we woke up the oldest 2 to tell them the news. #2 started crying. Really. She was worried about our future.

I looked at caller ID and was shocked to see that not ONE PERSON had called our house--not even my Dad! My husband hadn't called anyone either. He was in bed by 10:00.

Alone in my gloom I finally called my Dad around 11:00 knowing that he would still be up. My Mom had already gone to bed too. We talked politics. Neither of us had been able to find out about Prop 8 in CA. The CA Secretary of State site was running so slow plus their polls were open until 8:00 and they are an hour behind us.

Finally around 1:00 I retired. Disappointed in one outcome but optimistic since AZ, FL, and CA (so far) all chose to protect marriage. Last Sunday, President Packer told all of Arizona that there are "drastic CHANGES coming." I'm pretty sure it's the kind of "change" none of us are going to like.

1 comment:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Our two older ones were so upset also:-( They just couldn't get over the fact that bo could've won. Early that evening we were all watching and the girls were chanting around the house Go McCain, Go! Too cute! Anyway, I tried at that time to let them know that he might not win, but they were convinced that I was wrong. Oh, well! It will be interesting to see how the next four years will be. At least marriage is defined, right!