Wednesday, August 21, 2013

10 YEARS

Yesterday marked 10 years from the time that my husband's mother passed away unexpectedly.  She was only 52 years old.

I was pregnant with Miss A at the time.  AR had just turned 4 and LK was not quite 3.  Although we were living in New Jersey, during the summer we had come to Arizona for an internship my husband had with a firm in Phoenix.  We were planning to return to NJ to finish his last year of school when plans got changed and we decided to stay in Arizona and have him finish at ASU.  (That is a story all by itself).

We flew to NJ where we packed up our little apartment in 2 days and let a moving company drive it back to AZ.  We said our goodbyes to friends and church members knowing that we would probably never see most of them again.  We had only been back for a few days when she died.

In some ways that day 10 years ago feels like a lifetime away and in other ways its still raw.

Yesterday after the children left to school I went to visit the cemetery by myself.  I sat in the shade of a tree next to her headstone and remembered her. 

One of my best memories is when we were all playing a game at her kitchen table and she started laughing uncontrollably.  The tears were streaming down her face and her shoulders were shaking up and down as she laughed.  It makes me smile to think about.

Another thought I had was how much she loved her grandchildren.  There was nothing else she would have rather done than to spend time with them.  Her world revolved around her children and her grandchildren.

I left a flower on her grave as I said a prayer of thanks for her life.  I will be eternally grateful for her.

No comments: