Thursday, January 1, 2009

IN MEMORIAL

Today this post is to honor a friend who has been a constant by my side since my first semester in college--almost 15 years! She was there when I got married and close by during the births of all 4 children. She was the perfect shopping companion and even helped me out in emergencies, like when the air-conditioning on my car went out and it was going to cost $800.00 to fix it or when our Christmas was especially small and I felt bad for the kids.

Like all relationships we've had our problems and gone through periods of not speaking or seeing each other. But her letters and phone calls (I'll never forget her sweet Indian accent) have always wooed me back, much to the chagrin of my husband. Yes, she has even been the cause of disagreements between me and Spouse.

She and I have been estranged these past few months. It has made it a little harder for me to go out as often as I used to. And I've had to be much more careful since I didn't have her there to back me up.

But during this separation I've realized some things. Most important, that she is no friend at all.

While she has gotten me out of some sticky situations, I understand now that had I been more responsible I could have gotten myself out without being beholden to her. Each time I accepted her offers, her claim on me became greater.

Even now after I've cut all ties, I'll be paying her back every penny plus a premium. Which is what I expected--don't get me wrong, I never thought her help was out of the goodness of her heart. I knew what she was when I picked her up. I just wish that I had never picked her up.

And so to my fake friend, Visa (and sometime Mastercard), I bid you an everlasting adieu!

Goodbye and good riddance!

If you'd like to express your congratulations or condolences, you may send treats in lieu of flowers.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Congratulations, woman! way to make the break!

Jessica said...

I thought this was such a clever post -- I did not realize until the end you weren't talking about a person! Great new year's resolution, you're sure to have a prosperous year!

JLJ said...

Ha! As I read I just kept wondering why I couldn't remember you talking about such a close friend. And then I when I read you have been estranged I thought, no way! you are too nice of person to become "estranged" So, well done. Well written. And good luck with luck with the grieving process.s

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Thank you. The grieving process has been somewhat difficult. I've had to find things to fill in the holes that my non-friend left gaping. I've started a blog, organized drawers and closets, read more books, and even sent out Christmas cards on time!