Thursday, January 22, 2009

WHOLESOME RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY

Tonight my family enjoyed a spontaneous adventure that they are sure to not soon forget.
It began when I walked into the closet underneath the stairs to get #3's music bag. As I was reaching for it, I saw a small movement and my body recoiled before my brain could even process what it was. In 2 seconds flat I had jumped back 5 feet, clutched my hands to my chest, and screamed.
There resting on the strap to her bag was the grossest, yuckiest, biggest spider I had ever seen inside our house!
I didn't want to use bug spray since its our second pantry and food storage closet, and because of all the straps I knew that I wouldn't be able to squish it with a shoe. So I did the next best thing possible...I called my husband downstairs!
Now I should probably mention that my spouse just might have a bigger problem with spiders than I do, and I have an extreme problem! So upon seeing the creature, he promptly brought in our heavy duty shop-vac from the garage. While standing as far away as possible, he carefully placed the vacuum hose next to the strap and instructed me, "TURN IT ON!"
But that dumb beast was on to us and quickly climbed down into one of the bags.
At this point, all 4 kids were cowering behind us. #3 was sobbing and all of us were telling her "go upstairs," but she couldn't tear herself away. (I think she was more worried that he was in her music bag) #4 said, "Little spider?" but was quickly corrected, "No, BIG spider!"
I know I'm setting a terrible example here. I should be brave and not let the kids know how much I HATE spiders and how much they give me the serious heebie-jeebies, but I just can't! Scorpions don't even seem to bother me quite as much as a menacing spider.
My hero went back to the garage and retrieved a long pole. He systematically began pulling each bag down off the hooks. Each bag was dumped and given a good shaking. There was one false alarm when we thought we'd found it but it turned out to be his molted skin. Finally the last bag was dumped and that thing came out racing!
With a mightly holler my husband turned on the vacuum and sucked the vermin up in one fluid motion. Cheers erupted! The vacuum was taken back to the garage and just for good measure, spider killer was sprayed down the hose.
In all our little adventure took about 40 minutes. I can see how it might be an exaggeration to say it will be remembered for the next 40 years, but certainly I'll be hearing this story repeated for long time!
My Brave Knight!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a hero! Seriously... that was pretty huge! Glad you had someone around in such a crisis. Don't know what I would do if I found my phobia lurking around my house. I shudder to even think about it!!!

Mariah said...

My husband and I both have a fear of spiders also...so we always have a hard time deciding who is going to kill it! LOL Your story cracked me up - your hubby sounded so much like mine with the shop vac! :)

Lia said...

Ack! Ick! Yuck! That's a really big ugly yellow spider! Eek! Blech.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

HOLY COW!!! My kids were so grossed out. You make me laugh:-) You painted a really good picture of the situation and I felt like I was there joining the crusade to kill the dang thing. hope you don't come in contact with it's family any time soon!

JLJ said...

That looks exactly like the "mouse" that ran into our house that one time. Gross, gross, gross. I'm glad you could rest peacefully that night knowing it was out of your house!

Unknown said...

That's the funniest story! I hate spiders too, but early on discovered that my boys want to be my hero and will gladly squish it for me.