Monday, January 5, 2009

CHRISTMAS BLISS!

This past Christmas has to be one of the best Christmases that I can remember! It wasn't because there were SUPER BIG presents (although I had some wonderful surprises in my stocking and under the tree!) And it wasn't because I was anticipating something special. I think my favorite thing about this year was the relaxing feeling of just hanging out all day--I actually stayed in my pajamas the entire day!

Growing up away from any family--grandpas, grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins--my memories of Christmas were wonderful days staying home and playing with our newly acquired toys and games. Christmas day felt like a Sunday in a way, sacred. We never went anywhere and occasionally when a neighbor called to play later in the afternoon it felt wrong because Christmas was a day to be home with family.

After I got married, I was surprised to learn that people got dressed and drove around visiting other people. I was shocked to learn that the movie theaters were not only open but crowded! And so with two families and a new extended family to visit, Christmas became a day of driving and visiting and not a day of relaxing.

And so this year, we invited Spouse's dad and his wife to breakfast at our house. Later in the afternoon my parents visited too. And even later that evening we walked a few houses down to have dinner with my family. (Yes, the guy in the car may have wondered why I was walking down the street, salad in hand, in my red plaid pajamas).

I loved the feeling of all of it! And most of all I just enjoyed being with my family with no place to go and an entire day to do nothing. It was everything to me!



#3 was so excited to tell #2 all about the gift she had picked out for her.
This stocking stuffer was a huge hit!
3 long "balloons" that you could tie a knot in each end and then throw, hit, whatever!

Another gift given to #1 from #3. You've got to love Kohls for cheap presents!


This 2 year old certainly knew how to unwrap presents--he even practiced up with the presents under the tree several times before Christmas.
Santa left a mess! He ate all the frosting off the tops of the donuts!
I guess he's just a kid at heart!

He also left "boot marks" on the floor.
#1 pointed out that it looked suspiciously like baby powder.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so much fun!! Boot marks - what a great idea - we haven't done that one yet.

JLJ said...

The way you described your Christmases as almost sacred is exactly how our Christmases were - totally spent at home, relaxing. We never had any family around either. And now we are in the same position - no family around. I love it!

Donuts for Santa? Were they from your special donut shop way up North? (Can't remember the name of the place)

Some Kind of Crazy said...

LaMar's Donuts on Bell Road just east of the I-17! Amazing! You know I love Santa when I'm willing to share my donuts...and then he just eats the frosting off the top?!?