I'm going to be speaking in church on Sunday--12-15 minutes. My assigned topic is "Becoming your best self through meaningful service." I've been studying each night since Sunday gathering ideas and working on an outline. Right now I feel a little confused and not quite sure how to approach it. I thought I might ask for you help.
When you think of your "best self," do you think of qualities and traits or actions and things you need to be doing?
I enjoy the preparation part of speaking. I find myself reading through topics that don't necessarily apply to my talk but are wonderful and inspirational.
One that I really enjoyed is this article by David A Bednar. And this one by Neal A. Maxwell seems to apply more today than ever. I thought that this talk entitled "Waiting Upon the Lord" by Henry B Eyring was awesome.
But as much as I enjoy the studying, I am so scared of speaking. My voice is shaky and if anything rattles me, my face blushes so red its purple. My eyes water and my knees shake. I can only hope that since I'm the concluding speaker everyone else will go long and I'll be left with just enough time to say "Merry Christmas!"
2 comments:
You'll be amazing, Woman! After all, you are the Woman! When I think of being my best self, I mostly think of the qualities and traits I want to do, mostly because I think those are things that bring action. Good luck. You are amazing! Love you!
Hey! I get splotchy neck too! That is really an interesting topic. Do you necessarily become your best self through service? Sometimes isn't it necessary to become your best self through quiet, personal moments? Maybe its that service helps weed out the unnecessary distractions. You know, if you're spending so much of your energy serving, you would really have to prioritize the rest of your life.... leaving only the things that really matter.
Post your talk. I want to see where you end up going with it.
Post a Comment