Wednesday, September 7, 2011

TWELVE!

In some ways it hardly seems possible that my oldest child just turned 12!  I think about how he has grown so fast and try not to think about the fact that in 7 years he will be leaving.

Right now he is one of the oldest kids in 6th grade.  He loves playing soccer and most anything else that he can do outside.  He wanted a Razor for his birthday and even when the temperature was over 110 degrees he was outside on it.

He loves reading too!  I've gone into his room several times after bedtime to confiscate his flashlight and tell him to go to sleep and stop reading!  His favorites seem to be the fantasy series; Harry Potter, Septimus Heap, Fablehaven, Percy Jackson, etc.  He's reading them faster than I can keep up.

Another thing that amazes me is how he can put things together.  Last Christmas he got this huge Lego kit with an engine and moving parts etc.  I think he had it done by the next day.  His bookcase and dresser are covered with models and wood puzzles.  I keep giving kits to him because he enjoys putting them together but I'm running out of space to display them.

I think he's probably your typical boy when it comes to doing chores and fighting with siblings but he can be wonderful when he wants to be.  He's great fun and makes me laugh a lot.  He's sensitive and kind-hearted.

I feel blessed to have him as a part of my family!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy birthday to A! I remember when we pregnant together and always sharing the titles of good children's books -- it's funny how 12 years later our kids like all the same books!

Lisa W said...

Happy birthday! Twelve is a wonderful, goofy, growing-up year. I love the expression on your husbands face in that picture. So proud!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I can't believe it either! Anna turned 12 back in April and has LOVED it so far! I am loving this age and all the fun conversations. BTW, who made that delicious looking cake??

Unknown said...

If you need more space to display stuff, my nephew uses those double sided sticky things made by 3M to put his lego creations on his wall. It looks pretty cool.