Friday, September 9, 2011

TO FRITZ: AN APOLOGY...OF SORTS

Dear Fritz,
It's no secret that I never really wanted you or Billy to come.  I made it clear from the beginning that I would have nothing to do with either of you.  But my husband said he would help and so he signed all the necessary paperwork authorizing LK to bring you two home after the science unit was over.

From the very beginning you were mean--like the way you chased Billy around and snapped at him--even when you were so much bigger than him. 

But my children adored you!  They took care of you and tried to give you everything you might need.

I'll even admit that sometimes when I would go into the girls room, I'd stand at your cage and peer in at the two of you, watching you scurry away from my hulking figure.

It was a sad day when we lost Billy.  I'm not sure that you cared especially since you were responsible for ripping off his big claw.

It was an even sadder day when you finally passed on after 6 months.  Frankly I was surprised you lasted as long as you did!

In retrospect though I'm glad that you came.  You provided a lot of entertainment and my daugther learned more about responsibility.  I'm still not ready for a dog, but you were a good beginning point.  I'll even admit that I wouldn't mind having a couple more crabs as pets--maybe when Miss A gets to 4th grade in 2  more years.  And so I thank you and apologize.

5 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

What the heck kind of animal did you have?? I can't tell from the picture, but I'm guessing they were crabs??

The Silly Nilly Family said...

HAHAHA!! Love it. (I agreed to let my daughter bring frogs home. I thought they'd be the easiest and least smelly. They turned out to be water frogs. Not what I had in mind. )

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Sorry, I guess I never said. Yes they were crabs--fiddler crabs to be exact. They didn't even smell!

Lisa W said...

I'm not an animal person, therefore I am not a pet mom. But I caved when my then 12 year old wanted a lizard. He was old enough to care for it completely so I figured it could be in our home and I would have nothing to do with it. Until he went to camp for a week and I was worried about the lizard who he forgot to feed before he left. We kind of bonded i guess, because 3 years later when it stopped eating, I, myself, took it to the vet. The vet!! I know, future blog post in the making....And we're still not ready for a dog, either!

K8yerM8 said...

This seems funny to me because I caved in as a mom and let my kids have guinea pigs. They smell but they are all so cute. I regretted my decision the day the first one died having babies. My heart was broken watching my kids learn about death. We talked about the resurrection and how we would see her again someday. The next morning Seth woke up and asked if that day was resurrection morning! :)
I now look back at my poor mother and her reaction when I brought home the pet Trianchula for the summer from my Biology class in 9th grade. I can only imagine what she thought!