Thursday, June 9, 2011

LET THE PUNISHMENT FIT...

Today my oldest did something on purpose to my youngest as I was standing right there in front of them.  After putting up with a week of terrible behavior and a bad attitude from him, I was only too ready to mete out some serious punishment.  I decreed that he would be grounded from all swimming, tv and video games, playing with friends, and everything else "fun" that I could think of.

Later I walked past his room and saw him completely enthralled in a book.  Instead of moping in his room with nothing to do he was playing Quidditch with Harry Potter!

What now?  I'm sure that he's going to miss the other things that I forbade him from doing for the next 2 days, but somehow denying a kid from reading books seems to undermine what parents would like to see their children doing more--enjoying literature.

Sometimes this whole disciplining/parenting thing is so frustrating!

3 comments:

The Silly Nilly Family said...

Wow, I'm impressed! You're an awesome mom.

K8yerM8 said...

I can't in my right mind ground them from reading either. I think they need more of it! And who knows, he might just continue on to read the whole summer. I wish someone would ground me from having to do all the other things I should be doing so I could just loose myself in a book. Now that would be a vacation! :)

melissa said...

Yes, someone ground me, too! Except from exchanging books with Kate. :)