Friday, June 17, 2011

I AM NUMBER FOUR...LITERALLY

After watching the movie "I Am Number Four"  I thought it might be a pretty good book to read.  I put my name on the hold list at the library and there were 96 active requests before mine!  It has been 3 months since then.  Now I AM number four on the waiting list.  I hope it's worth the wait.

I thought it might be fun to list some of the best books I've read recently.  I'd love to hear some of your recommendations too!

Moon Over Manifest.  Young Adult.  I loved it!
Flecks of Gold.  Young Adult.  Completely entertaining and fun!  It's like watching a romcom.
The Annotated Persuasion.  Brings the story alive with all the notes explaining the time period.
Savvy.  Children's/Young Adult.  Great coming-of-age story of a 13 year-old with a quirky family.
The Forgotten Garden. Adult Fiction. Intriquing story. Didn't want to put it down.
Candy Bomber: The story of Berlin's Airlift's Chocolate Pilot.  Children's non-fiction.  Filled with pictures I loved reading this to my children.
The Doll Shop Downstairs.  Historical Children's Fiction.  A great read-aloud for my daugthers.
Left to Tell:  Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust. Adult Non-Fiction.  How could she discover God during a holocaust?  After reading it, I believed she and I both did.
Nothing to Envy.  Adult Non-Fiction.  Amazing stories of people who escaped North Korea.  Hard read but something everyone should read.
These is My Words.  Adult Fiction.  A classic for me!
My Fair (and Unfair) Godmother.  Young Adult.  Pure silliness and fun.

It's always sad when bookstores go out of business but I had so much fun shopping the 70-90% off sales!!!  I went to 4 different Border stores that were closing around the valley. 

 I love having books on my shelf that I haven't read yet.  It's almost like a little present all wrapped up just waiting for me to open it up and be surprised!

4 comments:

K8yerM8 said...

I will be anxious to hear how the book is compared to the movie. I love books too. Tessa went to buy Flecks of Gold at Barnes and Noble and they do not have a copy unless you get it for the Nook. She went back and forth wondering what to do and finally purchased it for the Nook. I will wait until there is a hard copy. :)
I think, Books feed the soul! Just let me know when you go book shopping again. I'll go with you! :)

JLJ said...

Thanks for posting your book list! I love a good recommendation from someone I trust. Not surprised to see you on top of the Borders clearance sale, but I still marvel at your knack of knowing about these things, like store closing sales... it's amazing.

Cheryl said...

You can only go up with book after the movie when it comes to I Am Number 4. Not nearly as bad as a tragedy as the Twilight movies when it comes to the live action destroying a perfectly good story, but really... the book is much better!

Ann said...

I am not as big on books as you and Kate, but I love talking about the stories and what interests you about them. I had to comment and tell you that I think you are pretty great! The treats you brought over the other night were wonderful! You have an amazing ability to make someone feel calm, collected and needed. I will miss you and your sweet family more than you know. You have to come and stay with us sometime! Please!Love ya!