Friday, January 21, 2011

MORE LIFE LESSONS AT COSTCO

A little over a year ago I had a neat kind of "life lesson" experience at Costco. Today I had another one.

First I need to preface this story with the disclaimer that I don't go to stores with sick kids. On kid-sick days I happily stay home with lots of blankets on the couch, lots of 7-up, and our biggest bowl within reach. Today was not a kid-sick day. (Can you already tell where this story is going?)

This morning I needed exactly 2 items from Costco for our 11 year-old scout day camp. #4 was super excited to go to Costco with me and I bribed him into getting chores done by promising tasty samples.

While at the super-busy-snowbird-crowded Costco, somewhere in the meat department, with 1 item in my basket, #4 suddenly started crying that he didn't feel good and wanted to go home. Then without warning he started to throw-up. I managed to get most of it in my hand while wheeling to the nearest garbage can. (Luckily Costco is like Disneyland with a garbage can every 15 feet). I could tell more was coming so I tried to pick him up to hold him over the garbage can, but with his long legs he was stuck and I couldn't maneuver him out. I stood there awkwardly holding him over the garbage, half-in and half-out of the cart with "stuff" all over us.

I was aware of people all around me passing by, watching me struggle, and being grossed-out. I was embarrassed thinking that people were probably judging me for bringing my obviously sick child to a store filled with people who didn't want to be exposed to whatever-it-was-he-had.

Then out of the blue a woman in her early 50's walked up and in one fluid motion--without even worrying about getting throw-up on her--got him untangled from the cart and handed him back to me. I thanked her as she walked off behind me. When he was finished, I put #4 back into the cart and started looking around for something I could use to clean up the mess. Then again, the same woman appeared holding a roll of paper towels. She handed some to me as she very gently began wiping the mouth and hands of my little guy. Then she wiped down the cart and his shirt. She was so nice talking to him and giving me some advice on how to take care of him while I stood there wiping myself off and trying to explain how he hadn't been sick and how I don't know what hit him. Then she was gone, back into the crowd of shoppers. I hardly had a chance to thank her for coming to my rescue.

I left immediately and haven't stopped thinking about her service to me. I know that if I had seen the same thing I probably would have been like the other people--steer clear of the sick kid--avoid them at all costs--that's disgusting! But this complete stranger, this angel, offered me help because of the goodness of her heart. She's helped me to see my own prejudice and reminded me of the Christ-like attributes of compassion and kindness.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

How great and fortuitous that such a wonderful person was there when you neeeded them, what a wonderful woman! I totally stalk your blog, I hope you don't mind!

Robynne said...

What a great story Erin, thanks for sharing and reminding us about the great people in the world!! (Hopefully now if I see this type of situation I will do the same!!)

Lisa W said...

Thanks for the reminder that we are surrounded by kind people, despite all of the negative around us. That makes me want to keep a box of wet wipes in my purse so I am ready to step in and help at any time! :)

The Silly Nilly Family said...

Wow, that's amazing. It makes me really happy for you that someone treated you like that, you deserve it. I hope I remember to jump in and help like that some time I see a need.

melissa said...

I may have even run away from you! :) That lady is quite the woman--I wish more people were like her.

Kathryn said...

This is a great story! Bless that lady's heart!