Saturday, January 1, 2011

BOOK DAY TRADITIONS

In our house January 1 is book day. It started when I was younger. My mom realized that the books given for Christmas were set aside and ignored while the toys and stockings got all the attention.

She didn't want us to feel like books were boring so she started Book Day. Usually sometime during the morning, my mom would call us all together in the kitchen. She would have a big bag or box filled with books. Then she would pass them out to us one by one. Some years we would get a lot and other times just a few, but it was always a day we looked forward to.

I remember the rest of day being quiet with each of us reading our books (and Dad watching football).

The "Book Day" tradition has been carried on. Today my family and my sister's and brother's families all celebrated Book Day. I'm excited about a lot of the books I gave my kids. Tonight I read aloud part of one of the chapter books to #2 & #3.

I love that my mom started this with us and consistently did it. I love that now my own children are excited each year for Book Day. I love to think about the future where 20 years from now, 12 new little families will also hopefully be celebrating this wonderful family tradition!

7 comments:

melissa said...

Book Day is the best! My kids marched down the stairs this morning like it was Christmas--they were just as excited as on Christmas morning. And it's a great excuse for me to to make a large Amazon book order for myself. Love it!!

The Silly Nilly Family said...

Your mom is a very smart lady, among other wonderful qualities. I love that all of you enjoyed that tradition so much you are now passing it on to your families. Sounds like a great tradition.

Courtney said...

I love this! Such a great idea...and really a day of all day reading...my dream!

Courtney said...

I love this! Such a great idea...and really a day of all day reading...my dream!

K8yerM8 said...

I love the new family pictures. And I think it a shame that I was not born into a family that reads as much as yours! Wish I would have known this wonderful tradition when my kiddos were little. :)

K8yerM8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JLJ said...

I love this idea. And I love the new pictures of your kids. And I loved your Christmas card.