I have never sold or bought anything on Craigslist before but several of my friends told me that I would be able to get more money selling our extra furniture there instead of at a garage sale. They also advised that I should list the items for a higher price because people will haggle it down.
So last night (early morning) around 2 am I listed 6 groups of furniture for sale on craigslist. When I got up this morning around 6:45 I already had over 20 responses from people and by 8:00 at least 20 more than that!!
I certainly wasn't expecting that! I didn't know what to do. Some people wanted to see it first and others committed to it outright sight unseen. "Would I split up this set?" "Can I buy only the bookcase?" "Will you send your full name, address, and phone number so they can mail a check and then my 'shipper' will come to pick them up?" "What kind of price can you give me if I buy both bedroom sets?"
This was my favorite response though. I still don't know what it means. "HOLA, Achaeans NUMBER I call? THANK YOU"
Is there Craigslist etiquette somewhere? Is it first come first serve? Do I really want to be there alone when some stranger comes to look at a couch? Why on earth would a stranger walk into my house without knowing anything about me? Side note: I left all the furniture we were selling in the old house because 1. It wouldn't fit in the 'new' house 2. I didn't really want people knowing where I live.
Well less than 24 hours after it posted all but one old bed and nightstand sold. They are all coming tomorrow to pick it up and pay me.
I certainly am pleased with the results. With all the responses there was no point to negotiating down the price and I actually got more money than I was expecting. A tiny part of me wonders if I priced it too low and could have gotten even more, but I'm quite happy with everything except for one thing. I just must not be as trusting (or naive) as the rest of craigslist folk.
2 comments:
Regarding CL etiquette, I give it to the person who sounds the most normal in their email, whether or not they were the first to respond. By "normal" I mean the person whose email is in complete sentences without stupid spelling mistakes. Strange, yes, but I've never had to deal with a kook. Kooks can't spell.
I love craigslist. A lot of times if they are selling something small they will meet you in a public place instead of at home. I've had people who said they would not answer the door but the stuff would be on the front porch and for me to leave the check under the mat.
Post a Comment