Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SPRING BREAK IN MOAB

Several months ago our friends asked us if we camped. We said "yes" meaning that we have a tent and some sleeping bags and we've gone on the ward camp-out for the last couple years. They told us all about how much fun it would be to spend spring break in Moab, UT camping and invited us to go with them. It was an incredible week that we hope to repeat again sometime.

The week before we arrived, a storm had dropped tons of snow and we had to shovel it away in order to put the tent down. IT WAS FREEZING!!!

We planned all our meals and brought up our groceries so besides the gas and $40.00 camping fee it was one of our cheapest vacations yet and probably one of the most memorable. I think one of my children might have even said it was better than Disneyland!

We went on several hikes. The longest one was about 3 miles roundtrip. The rock formations were spectacular. I don't consider myself "afraid of heights," but it's an entirely different story when you are up against a sheer rock wall with a 300 foot drop down on the other side and your 4 kids want to see over the edge. AHHHHH!!!! That made me crazy nervous!
This formation was in the Fiery Furnace. They call it skull rock. This view was by Gemini Bridges. You can see the La Sal Mountains in the background. Seriously, the rock ends in a cliff just a few feet behind her.

Double Arch. It's hard to explain the majesty of it. You can see the tiny specks of people at the bottom but the picture just can't capture the depth or the enormity.


The North Window.
Delicate Arch. This is a hike I'm not sure I would have attempted if I'd known how high and how nervous it would make me. I think our friends knew this which is why they didn't tell us. Looking back, I'm glad they didn't because it was jaw dropping amazing once you got to the end.

5 comments:

Robynne said...

What an awesome vacation Erin! I love trips like that!!! :)

Cheryl said...

wow! looks amazing. glad you had fun!

JLJ said...

Yes! Some of those hikes are very scary! The pictures are wonderful. What a great family vacation!

Lia said...

That is so cool! I love all those pictures.

K8yerM8 said...

Love the pictures. I think some should go on your wall! :)