Monday, May 3, 2010

A FLEETING HAPPINESS

Don't you just LOVE the smell of clean laundry? One of my favorite inconsequential things is getting into bed with freshly laundered sheets. In my dream world, I would have newly washed sheets on my bed every single night.

Yes, dear Reader, I know I'm weird--and a little compulsive.

About a year ago, I happened upon a clearance aisle full of Downy "Turquoise Frost." Because the price was so good and I had several coupons, I came home with lots of bottles for my year-supply closet. After using it a few times, I went back and bought even more bottles. The scent is heavenly. If they made a perfume, I'd buy it. I just can't adquately describe how wonderful it smells. When we moved into this house I immediately washed everything in my Turquoise Frost so that it would smell like home.

Now I'm down to 5 bottles left (technically 240 more loads) and they don't sell it anymore. (Well you can actually buy it a few places online but the price is ridiculous!) You better believe I'm rationing it to MY sheets and MY clothes. How pathetic that I'm already mourning the day when I use the last drop from the last bottle!

Tell me Friend, so that I know I'm not crazy, have you ever had a beloved product casuality to the fickle consumer market?

8 comments:

The Silly Nilly Family said...

That's so funny because that's what I did with their Lavender Vanilla scent. I love washing the sheets in it. They must have switched up that whole line of scents because they aren't making that one anymore either. I'm really disappointed about it!!! ...and after reading this post I'm really disappointed I wont get to try the Turquoise Frost either. argh!

JLJ said...

I love clean sheets at night too. I actually think I sleep better when the linens are freshly cleaned. The product I miss is Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran (of course, mine would be food!). Technically it is not off the market, but it is hard to find. Certain Target's still sell it, but most major grocers do not, at least in AZ. I actually called Quaker's customer service line to get a list of Q.C.C.B distributors in Phoenix. I also found out that if I get desperate enough they will send me a box of 12 for about $40 (+ shipping).

I hope you enjoy those last 240 loads.... sniff, sniff.

Tilleea said...

I am a softner snob too! Downy pleasures for me, although I've never tried the turquois frost. I'll have to try it next time.

Lia said...

There used to be an ice cream, I can't remember what it's called, that had pretzels and caramel swirls. I've forgotten if it was Breyer's or the BYU Creamery (those are the only two brands I buy). I've searched high and low, but I can't find it anywhere. It's sad when a favorite product falls by the wayside!

Lia said...

Oh, and I remember when they stopped selling Del Monte pickle relish in Arizona -- that was a sad day.

Em said...

There was one makeup brand that use to make auburn mascara. I can't find it anywhere anymore and black looks very unatural on a redhead:(

melissa said...

I love the clean sheets. And oddly enough I noticed the other morning you smelled SO good (like freshly done laundry) right before boot camp (yes, BEFORE). Although the funny thing is that I've noticed YOUR smell and your family's smell is Downey. It reminds me of you. When your kids come over they smell fresh like that (usually!) So maybe you don't need to get that perfume after all...

But as for products, I'm mourning the fact that the coconut M&M's didn't catch on. And that they only make mint M&M's at Christmastime.

Cheryl said...

You are so not crazy. I love the way fresh sheets feel! Dave has sensitive skin so I've had to go to the "free" products... no smells for us anymore and you'd better believe that I've missed it. Now, I just relish in smelling other people's laundry. So... if you're crazy for wanting your laundry to smell wonderfully so you can enjoy it, what does it say about me who wants to go and smell other people's laundry?!?!