Thursday, January 7, 2010

TO MEET AND TO PART

"TO MEET AND TO PART IS THE WAY OF LIFE."


There have been several times in my life when I've heard my dad say this quote which he attributes to the Danes. First he quotes it in Danish, and then again in English. He said it to me when I went away to college, and again when we left for New Jersey. I've also heard my dad quote it at funerals. Always he has said it as a goodbye.

I faced a very difficult parting 2 weeks ago. Out of our very big ward, a new ward was created. Out of 215 children, I lost 125. Out of my friends, I lost many. Out of my family, I lost all.

I cried through sacrament meeting. I cried through primary. I cried through my release.

Of course I will still see them. Yes, there will still be phone calls, park groups, and lunch dates. Despite being in a different ward, I think my family will still invite us to Sunday dinner.

This good-bye is the way of life.








But now, unlike my dad, I'm going to say it at hello.

This meeting is the way of life.

I'm excited and anxious for the changes coming my way: for the new people who will be my friends and for the new experiences that will challenge me. I am excited for this beginning, and hopefully the hellos are frequent and the good-byes are short.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

You have the best attitude for everything! I'm so sad we'll be in different wards but I know I'll get to see ya down at the park! I wanted you to know how much I just love ya and what an amazing person you are! You have done so much for our ward serving as Primary President and loved those children so dearly! Your sweet testimony and example you've shown them will remain in their hearts forever. You've touched so many lives including mine! :o)

JLJ said...

That is hard to go through so much change. You know that life will go on and happiness still awaits, but it is hard.

I'm still a little shocked at the number of children in the old ward, 215! Holy cow.

Ann said...

Bless your heart! Over and over again! I love you! That is all I will say for now. I look forward to the future!

Staci said...

You will be missed. Our primary children were lucky to have you. Your talents will be used in your next calling and you'll do just as fabulous of a job. Thank you for all of your help!