Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I DIDN'T KNOW THEN

We must have met sometime during our freshman year of high school although neither of us remember the actual meeting. We had several classes together each year including our junior year when we were lab partners in chemistry. We went on one really bad date during our senior year. Following graduation he left on his mission in July.
I stayed home and attended a community college. We wrote letters back and forth. Because those were the days before email, it usually took about a month to receive a response. They were friendly letters mostly just sharing experiences.
Sometime in April or May we were both accepted to attend BYU the following fall. Neither of us knew that the other one had applied. He came home in July. We left for the Y in August. We got engaged in September and were married end of December. That's the short version.
We just celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary.
I look back and shake my head in amazement. 13 years ago I loved him as much as I possibly could then. We had been friends for 7 years. I thought I had a pretty good idea of who he was. But what I didn't know then was how incredibly blessed I really was to marry HIM.
I didn't know then how unselfish he is.
I had no idea the kind of wonderful father he would be.
I didn't know how gentle and kind he is.
I couldn't have known that he would treat me like a queen for the rest of my life.
I didn't know then what an amazing chef he is.
I didn't know then that the best part of everyday would be when he walked in the door.
How could I have known then that 13 years later I can't imagine my life without him?
When I consider the magnitude of that single decision and how much I didn't understand, I feel even more blessed and lucky to have married someone who is so far above me--someone who I truly don't deserve, but am eternally grateful that he chose me anyway.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy anniversary! I LOVE the wedding picture you posted.

We were so blessed to get to know you both at Wyview park. I'm glad we're still in touch nearly 13 years later!

Joy said...

i just wrote a similar post, all be it 10 years behind you the other day. congrats on 13 years, you both are wonderful.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations you guys! Love you both.

Donna said...

Congratulations! You two are the perfect example of GOODNESS. So blessed to know you both.

Ann said...

I want to see more baby face pictures! So cute! Love you both and appreciate your friendship! Happy Anniversary!

JLJ said...

Great wedding picture! And I love that you have a current portrait of yourselves. Wonderful tribute - Happy Anniversary!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Awesome!!! Congratulations and what a truly wonderful post:-)

Lisa W said...

Happy Anniversary! I think anniversaries are one of my favorite days. I think about that aspect of love a lot. It is really a miracle that we love someone as much as we possibly think we are able to and then love them even more than that as time goes by. What a gift!

Unknown said...

I actually thought of you on your anniversary and hoped you were having a wonderful day!! I can't think of anything better than a happy marriage and I'm so happy for you and Ethan.