Tuesday, August 4, 2009

SPRING CLEANING IN THE SUMMER

3 years.

36 fast Sundays.

1,095 days.

2/3 of a pregnancy plus a 2 1/2 year old boy.

In the 12 1/2 years that I've been married and the 10 times I've moved since then, that is the very longest I have ever stayed in one place. 3 years.

It's been wonderful to stay put for so long but my house needs some serious attention. My cupboards, drawers, garage, and closests are filled with stuff. I have "sorting projects" to do all over the house. All the little nooks and crannies need to be scrubbed.

I realized last week that usually during the moving exodus everything becomes consolidated. It took me 3 moves to throw away those last strange wedding presents, 4 moves to get rid of the futon, 5 moves to retire the hand-me-down waterbed, 6 moves to finally part with my college books and notes, and 10 moves to be done with our crib--the ONLY piece of furniture to actually make it from UT, to NJ, to AZ. (Of course that is an entirely separate story)

But my point is that all that sorting and organizing has been done by necessity. And now after 3 it needs to be done again but I have no impetus.

We are planning a garage sale in a few weeks where that crib along with all other things BABY and 3 years of accumlated falderal will be sold. With any luck, my spring cleaning will finally get done by the end of summer.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

so proud of you. I wish you could send some motivation my way. I've been seriously lacking in that area and my house is certainly feeling the brunt!q