Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TWENTY-NINE

No, it's not my age.

It's the number of days left until my oldest 3 go back to school. 29 days left to do something great so that they have more to write about their summer vacation than "I stayed home, worked on chores, and fought with my sister."

Yes, we have had some pool parties, movies at the theater, shopping outings, trips to DQ and Bahama Bucks and even 2 visits to the zoo. But that is it. I feel like I've been a pretty pathetic mom these past several weeks. Not that they need a trip to feel like they did something, but I certainly haven't been Mary Poppins either if you know what I mean.

The highlight of our summer would have been our trip to UT, but we decided that it would be best to cancel that for now. I'm thinking a camping trip or a hotel up north would be a lot of fun, plus it would give me a small reprieve from the heat for a bit.

Any suggestions of fun places to go within a 3-4 hour drive from the valley?

4 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

We are in the same boat:-( Jonathan took the girls up to Prescott to go camping, but he said that it was still fairly warm. I heard flagstaff is really nice this time of year, but have only driven through, never stayed to do anything:-/ Man I sure am helpful:-) Good luck!

**I have some rental questions to ask you....I will call you sometime today***

Cheryl said...

you definitely have done more than I have. My kids haven't had near so many local outings. We only have our weekly summer movie at Harkins goin' on.

Cheryl said...

ps: Thanks for the countdown! It is nice to be on the downhill!

Unknown said...

There are really nice places to go camping on Mt. Graham - it's about four hours to get from Gilbert to the camp sites on the top of the mountain. Payson has some really nice areas too and that's not too far away from you. Good luck finding relief from the heat.