Friday, August 7, 2009

SUMMER VACATION RESCUED!

In the last couple weeks before summer break ended we did 2 things that may have rescued it from the doldrums.

First: For the last summer movie fun movie I bought a big tub of popcorn and even let each of the kids get a soda! Happy Day! Nevermind that the movie, Igor, was a complete waste and dumb beyond repairing!

Second: We "escaped" to spend a weekend in Thatcher with my husband's sister and her family. The kids ran wild in their big backyard complete with a fort on stilts. We hiked a treacherous trail to a "bear cave" on Mt. Graham (me in flip-flops). My children asked me if I had brought their sweatshirts because they were cold! We watched fireworks closer than could have possibly been safe, and generally had a wonderful time!
By the end of the hike we were filthy! #3's shoes actually started out a clean light pink. Surprisingly enough with some scrubbing and oxy-clean stain remover, you'd never know they had been dark brown.

The fireworks were directly above us. A few times you had to crane your neck backward to see it all. Gila Valley knows how to celebrate pioneer day!

The "Bear Cave"


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, Gila Valley knows how to celebrate Pioneer Day. We love going there. Where was the trailhead for that cave at? Do you remember which campsite it started at? I don't think I've seen that cave.

JLJ said...

Igor! What a horrible movie. If I ever bought the big tub of popcorn and sodas for everyone it would definitely be a day to remember - so I can see why it helped save your summer.