I've had several friends ask me to set up a facebook account. It was especially surprising when I got an email from a friend inviting me to join and tacked onto the bottom of her email were pictures of 2 other of my friends (100% un-associated with the first friend) who wanted to find me. It was as if I was on a hit list or something.
My husband has recently set up his facebook account and tells me about the new "friends" he has found, added, rejected, etc.
I do have an account with goodreads.com I really enjoy that because I can keep track of all the books I read, plus I can see what my other "friends" have recommended to read. From what people say, facebook is similar to goodreads except its all about life instead of books.
So I'm wondering do I set up a facebook account? And then what do I do after that? Post pictures and talk about my life? Isn't that what this blog is doing? Somewhere I'm missing the point of facebook. But with so many of my cousins, friends, and people-who-I haven't-thought-about-for-15-years on facebook I'm beginning to feel some pressure to join and little left out. And feeling like that is reminding me a little too much of high school.
8 comments:
Well, I actually got an invite about a month ago and I accepted, which meant I had to sign up. I still don't understand all of it, but I really enjoy it because I have been able to come back in contact with some friends from college and high school, who I have thought a lot about. It's fun for me to see and share how life changes. I have to say though it is annoying that "it" facebook has you speak in third person....just like that one episode on Seinfeld:-) Good luck in making your decision!!
My 2 cents: yes, but proceed with caution. Facebook, like so many other things online, can be a great way to reconnect with people, but it can also be a huge time-suck. I am on Facebook, and like it a lot -- I connect easily with cousins, old high school and college friends, etc.
The problem is, sometimes acquaintances from these places "friend" you, and then their stuff clogs your feed, and they comment on all your stuff, and you find that you're interacting more with people you don't care about than people you do.
So, here's my advice: if you join Facebook, set your privacy level really high at first, so that you control who sees you and who you "friend", and you won't get uninvited requests of people you hardly know. When/if you get a request from someone you may like just fine, but don't need to connect with on a daily basis, you can block them from your feed (they won't know) and block what parts of your profile they see.
I got on Facebook because it was actually a requirement of my job working with college students -- we advertise events there and invite people to them. I use it for that, and to show off pictures of my kids, and such. Like a blog, it keeps relationships fresh -- instead of just a yearly summary in the Christmas letter, it's as if there's always a conversation going on with your friends, and you get glimpses into their daily lives. For good friends, it's a blessing, for people you may not care so much about, it's a curse. Manage your time and privacy so you only get the blessing part, and you'll be fine.
Ah! I almost forgot - Don't add ANY applications. That's the biggest time suck. It's for middle schoolers (and people who don't have four kids to take care of at home). You don't need to take any quizzes, play any online games, or whatever. Ignore it all!
Am I sounding preachy? Sorry, it's just what I've learned in NOT trying to spend my life online while my kids grow up around me. And now I'm turning off the computer for the day...
I agree with Jessica. The reason I set up an account was pretty much because Kemery talked me into it so that he could list "married to McCall", but I've also liked getting in touch with people easier, if I want to. I really like the privacy options. There is a place where you can set up that people won't even know you are on facebook, even if they search your name. It won't list you as someone's friend or anything. That way when you find someone, you can invite them to be a friend. You won't get friend requests, but sometimes that is a good thing. Or you can set it up so the person can't add you as a friend, but they can send you a message. I found this filtered out the "friends" because acquaintances really didn't care to send you a message. Or you can just set it up to have anyone add you. The problem with that is that some random joe/jane that you barely knew in high school adds you and you feel guilty ignoring them. So maybe start more private until you get the hang of it. Just like a blog, don't put too much personal info out there. Even if you are private and only viewed by "friends" it's still best to be as private as possible. No address, etc.
Also, there is a virus going around on facebook so you want to be careful who you add and who you search on their page. I don't know if it's been fixed yet.
And, you will get invited to join many groups etc. I usually ignore them.
So if you sign up, let me know. I would love to be your "friend".
I agree with Jessica: I vote "no"! Reasons:
(1) You already have this blog, which keeps us all posted.
(2) Facebook is what is known as a "social networking site" -- a major means for people to "meet" (and also flirt with) other people -- sort of like going to a bar. Believe me, it's for teenagers and single college-aged people. Blogs are for families.
(3) Mature, established folks who aren't interested in "meeting" people usually have only this one reason for joining facebook: "To connect with old friends." Not good enough in my opinion: all the people you want to stay in touch with, you probably have, and vice versa. If long-lost acquaintances (who never bothered to keep your contact info) are bored and are curious to see how much weight you've gained or to know how much money the guy you married makes, let 'em be curious.
(4)Keep your life private. Why does the whole world need to see it by means of facebook? Total strangers! Vanity. If someone invites you to facebook, invite them to check out your blog.
(5) Jessica's right about time down the drain. There are big-time addicts -- I'm not joking -- out there, with nothing better to do than sit around on facebook. BYU already blocked myspace (a much worse version of the same thing) and there have been conversations about facebook. Freshmen are failing classes. Computer labs are getting bogged down with patrons doing facebook instead of schoolwork. (There was an editorial this week in the Daily Universe from someone who couldn't even find a computer to print a paper. He's right. Every lab you walk into, you can look around and see the facebooking.) It's pathetic. And so not worth the time.
Goodreads is the one social networking site I personally would consent to join. Why? Because strangers reading my review of a book is different than strangers looking at pictures of my life and family. Which is moot anyway, because I keep my goodreads profile private.
Bottom line: facebook serves no useful purpose that a blog doesn't already serve! Those are my thoughts.
Oh -- and when I said facebook was for teenagers, I didn't mean that I would let any teenagers of mine on the site. It's dangerous. It's the kind of place predators enjoy. It allows them to become "friends" with low-lifes around the world: a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend. Teenagers need a real life, with real friends...we all do.
Well, I like facebook, I only "friend" people I know. I don't do most of the applications - they're usually lame. And yes there are a lot of old acquaintances that I've run into on there. I like it mostly for the chat that I can do with friends who are online the same time as me. I've been able to re-connect with several old close friends that have drifted apart over the years. It is what you make of it.
I'm on the no side. What's the point. You've already got a life, right?
Post a Comment