Saturday, February 28, 2009

BLUE BEADS AND ORANGE MASTERMIND PEGS

The question is inevitably the same, as is the answer.

Question: Why did you stick that up your nose?

Answer: I don't know.


This is the second time this has happened in our family. The first happened when #2 was 4 years old. She put an orange mastermind peg up her nose. A call to the doctor sent me straight to the ER where she was wrapped up in a pillowcase like a mummy and a long uninflated balloon was inserted up her nostril. Then they made a little bubble at the end of the balloon thing and pulled it out--reasoning that it would guide out anything stuck. After many painful attempts and a lot of screaming they said she must have swallowed it. I was unconvinced. How could they see if an orange peg was still there with all the bleeding? The following Monday, the ENT took it out in less than 8 seconds.

Now fast foward 4 years. I'm sitting at my book club when I get a call from Spouse telling me that #3 has stuck a blue bead up her nose and one of us will need to take her to urgent care. Memories of mummies and balloons flooded my mind and I hoped that I could be the one to stay home. But then I remembered that he took her to urgent care last time when the older two had dislocated her arm at the elbow and I determined that I should take her in this time. Luckily it came out before I got home.

It seems that no matter how many times you ask, "why?" they will answer as many times back, "I don't know." And all I can say is "I don't know either."

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I recently had to take one of mine to have surgery to remove a rock she placed in her ear. It's like you said... I just don't know.

PS I was just reading our ward newsletter and the bishopric's message had a story about when he was on his mission in NYC... it was a story about Dave Checketts... Then I turned on the computer and you were on the top of my "updated" listed. Funny coincidence!

Em said...

My life is so boring. None of my kids have ever put anything up their nose. That I know of:)