Monday, October 27, 2008

MATH CLUB


#1 & 2 have been in a math club for a little over a year. This past weekend we had a Math Club party to celebrate the accomplishments of the students. (Think of it like a piano recital). The goal of the club is getting the kids to be able to do mental math quickly. I don't think they realize how far they've come since starting. Just a couple weeks ago I was at a store and needed some numbers added quickly. I began: 23 plus 14 plus 8 plus 8 plus 4 plus 13 plus 7. They both raised their hands. #1 said 77. #2 said 78. #1 was right and his sister only one number off. Right now #1 is working on long division problems. #2 is doing double digit subtraction problems. Both of them are working on math problems way above their grade level.

When I was younger I had my fair share of activities and lessons--ballet, tap dance, gymnastics, piano lessons, voice lessons, basketball, swim team, sewing lessons, etc. I'm sure all of them helped me in some way but its very seldom that I need to know how to do a "kick ball change." Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad my parents supported (and payed) for me with my various interests. I still play the piano and could probably sew something if I needed to. But I look at other things I did and wonder if it was worth it.

With this math class there has been a certain amount of grumbling. After the first week they accused me of lying to them since clubs were supposed to be fun and this was not. They weren't sure it could even be called a "club." Next came the "I want to quit" phase. I made a compromise saying when they got to a certain level they could choose to stop but not until then. The past few months there has been little complaining (except for maybe about the homework) and #1 even says he likes going.

I hope that one day they will understand the benefit of this like I do and realize that it was more than just a club.

No comments: