Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A LUG NUT WHAT?

We're on our way to the happiest place on earth. Kids are dressed, lunches are packed, sunscreen has been applied. The camera, stroller, & sweatshirts are ready too. We're in the car driving along in the carpool lane and I'm feeling pretty good that we will get to the park 1/2 hour after it has opened. My Dad has come in the car with us.

And then it happens. The loudest noise coming from the back of our car. Spouse immediately navigates right through 6 lanes of traffic and convienently stops next to a call box. Our back wheel is totally flat.

As if on cue, a tow truck pulls over within seconds. He offers his help but spouse sends him away because my dad and him can take care of it.

After the spare has been pulled out and they are ready to jack up the car, the men come looking for the "key for the lug nut." What is that? Apparently when I bought the car I authorized WHEEL LOCKS to be put on. And apparently I took the key to the wheel locks out of the car at some point. (Please keep in mind that I have absolutely no idea what these are and have no recollection of any discussion concerning said locks or keys.)

So the search begins. My dad, spouse, and I each look through every compartment where this lug nut key could be hiding. I discover a pair of scissors, 3 WORKING flashlights, and a 10 dollar bill, but no key.

Emotions are running high. We've been sitting on the side of the freeway for 45 minutes. A tow truck has been sent away once and now another one is being called. 60 minutes and counting the same tow truck shows up but he doesn't have the needed lug nut key, and he can't tow us because its the back tire. A different tow truck is called. 100 minutes on the side of the freeway and my mom comes to pick up the kids and my dad. (I expect my dad is grateful to escape the tension). 120 minutes and the spare has been put on and we are on our way to a Honda dealership where we buy a replacement "lug nut key" What? It looks like a wrench! I was looking for an actual key! 135 minutes and counting and we are sent to "Just Tires" who can replace the tire quicker than the dealership. The man overcharges us, but the office is programmed to Fox News so spouse says its okay. 180 minutes after the tire first blows out we are headed back to the beach house. Disneyland will have to wait for another day. And that's okay because who wants to spend a day at the happiest place on earth when you're the UNhappiest you've been in a long time?


P.S. I have since found out that "Wheel locks are specialized lug nuts designed to prevent the theft of wheels and rims." According to the tow truck driver they are 100% useless since anyone who really wants to steal the wheels most likely has the needed lug nut keys anyway. Brilliant!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

love it, Woman!! I am so happy to start reading the in and outs of your life!! And I am definitely linking you now. You're ready. Love you!

Jessica said...

Oh my, what a story!! When was this? Did you get back to Disney world?

(Re: Fox news -- sorry, my blog must be driving you crazy).

JLJ said...

A $10 bill! I feel lucky when I find a quarter. But I guess it would take more than finding a 10 to make up for a lost day at Disneyland.

MJ said...

I'm so happy to see you blogging...FINALLY. I am also happy you found the $10 so you could tip the tow guy.