Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WHEN THEY'RE ACTUALLY LISTENING

Today Miss A was given the chore of vacuuming the upstairs, but before she could start I needed to empty the canister and clean out the spinny-brush-rotator-thingy.  (I know it has an official name but I can't think of it right now)  With 3 girls in the house  with long hair the thing had a veritable wig wrapped around it.  So we sat there cutting and pulling and pulling and cutting to free it from Rapunzel.

As Miss A sat next to me working she said, "Mom, this is kind of like our family home evening lesson where 'by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.'"

Surprised (VERY surprised since I usually get the feeling that no one is actually listening to my FHE lessons) I asked what she meant.

"Well, it's not like all this got vacuumed up at the same time.  The vacuum only picks up one piece of hair at a time, but the more and more it picks up then the more it wraps around and around and makes it harder to turn.  So one at a time it builds up to be a big thing."

Wow!  Not only the repeating of the scriptural phrase but an actual modern application!  I was quite pleased.  Every now and again I get that confirmation that I really am doing an okay job as a mom and they actually are learning something. 

Today we still had some whining, fighting, complaining, crying, etc but the conversation with my daughter alone made it a great day!

2 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Loved this post! It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside:-)

K8yerM8 said...

Oh those kind of discussions with my kids make me feel like I am doing ok! I am glad that she got the FHE lesson. You are a wonderful mother and don't let anyone, including yourself, tell you differently. :)