This blog has turned into how my personal journal looks--the entries get farther and farther apart until it reaches a point where I just don't feel like I'll catch up and it will take more time than I have to try. I avoid it and more time passes. So instead of trying to post old birthday and holiday news I'll just start out fresh.
I've always loved January. Part of the reason is probably because of the beautiful weather here in the valley of the sun but the other part is because it's such a fun time for new goals and expectations.
Over the years I've learned some things about myself and setting goals. I've realized that I do much better with graphs where I can check off boxes instead of daily goals. Because as soon as I've missed one day then I feel like I've failed and it's easier to give up. A graph with boxes to check off means that I can miss a day and make it up the next day and not feel like I've already broken the new years resolution.
Last year I made a personal goal and printed up my blank graph with 52 boxes. As the year passed I watched it slowly fill up until the last week of 2012 when I checked-off the last box. It felt so good! I'm embarrassed to say that I think it may be the first time I've actually followed a new years goal through to the end.
What are some ways that have helped you to meet your new year resolutions?
1 comment:
I like the graph idea. I've never actually used a visual accountability system. I like daily lists and checking those off. I don't struggle with guilt much so maybe that's why it works for me. Don't get me wrong, I feel a lot of guilt about moral things (like yelling at my kids), but I don't worry much if I fall behind on goals or tasks.
PS You are right about the January weather: it is perfect!!
Post a Comment