I remember several years ago when The Dixie Chicks made a disparaging comment about President Bush and the war during a performance in London. While the British crowd cheered, the deeply-patriotic country-music-listeners immediately boycotted their songs from the radio and their sales went down. Afterwards one of the Dixie Chicks complained (whined) in an interview that she has the right to "free speech" and is allowed her opinion and felt the firestorm the band had received from the south wasn't fair.
While she clearly understood the concept that in America we are free to speak our mind, she most definitely did not understand the cause and effect relationship that comes with freedom of speech.
Just because we are free to say what we want does not mean that we are free from the consequences of those opinions.
I think the President of Chick-fil-A, Dan Cathy, probably was well aware that his stance on marriage would be unpopular to some however I don't think he had any idea of the events that would follow.
After he made those comments I wasn't suprised to see gay activists protesting, but when several big-city mayors said that Chick-fil-A would not be welcome in their cities and even implied that they would deny building permits, etc I was furious. Who are they to think they can deny those permits on the grounds of a moral stance? Oh the hypocrisy of these officials who cry fowl against the discrimination of gays!
Dan Cathy didn't say that he refused to serve gays or anything even close to that. He merely told the Baptist press that he was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family."
Last Wednesday my family and I went to Chick-fil-A on "Appreciation Day." The line was clear out the door and looped around the parking lot. We drove a few miles to another one and it was just as busy! I wanted to cheer and shout "Hooray!" when I saw all those people giving their support. When we finally received our order they told us they were very close to running out of chicken and had already ran out of the paper cartons for the french fries. My sister was at a different Chick-fil-A and said that a woman there had bought several hundred dollar's worth of gift cards that she was passing out to people. According to the local news, all of the Chick-fil-As had run out of food and closed early. Foxnews reported that the restaurant had a "record setting day."
I left that day feeling like in a small way I had given my support to a company that shares similar values as mine. But more important than that, I left knowing that contrary to what the liberal media would have me think, I am not alone in my beliefs. They want to bully us into believing that the entire nation supports gay marriage and that if you think differently then you are an unfeeling bigoted individual. Not so! I think the consequences--both good and bad--of Dan Cathy's remarks will be felt for some time. We will not be bullied by government thugs or the liberal media and I am not alone!
4 comments:
My family and I texted each other on Wednesday, reporting the scenes at our respective Chik Fil A's all over the country. We all made the same comment you are making: we are SO not alone (as the main stream media would have us believe). We went earlier in the day and had no trouble getting our chicken, even after waiting in the drive thru line for 40 minutes. I was happy to wait and happy to explain to my kids why the place was so busy... and talk to them about the freedom of speech and the power of the people!
So does that mean Ben had Chick-fil-a twice last Wednesday?? haha
It was the same thing here in TN - I felt so proud of people who showed we definitely aren't alone! I had many of the same feelings you did concerning this whole debacle. There are so many people (the majority I would say) who have similar values to us, we just generally aren't the obnoxious and noisy ones, so we aren't noticed as much. We also aren't well represented in most media, so you don't hear as much about us, or you hear lies. That day showed otherwise. It was great to be reminded we are not alone!! :)
AMEN!
Post a Comment