We began talking about things that people collect and my other friend talked about how her husband loves and collects guitars and how they have them in their home on display, in closets, under the bed, etc.
My husband use to work for a man who collected snails. SNAILS! We visited his house and were dumbfounded by the curios everywhere crowded full of all manner of ceramic, glass, wood, paper, and made-with-everything-under-the-sun snails. There were thousands!! At a realtor class I attended, a man told of a woman who had hundreds upon hundreds of thimbles. THIMBLES! How does that happen? When is enough enough?
I started thinking about things I like to "collect." Since high school I have loved stationery. I have 2 bins full of stationery--practically a lifetime worth of cards and letters just waiting to be written and given to someone. Yet I still enjoy shopping for more.
I have a thing for gift bags and wrapping paper too. It probably came from spending more on the gift wrap than I did on the present and so I started collecting it whenever I found cute inexpensive wrapping.
Everytime we've moved, my poor husband has threatened to "lose" all of my books but my collection just keeps growing.
The thesaurus lists synonyms for collector as accumulator, authority, compiler, connoisseur, finder, gatherer, hobbyist. I'll leave "pack rat" out of the list.
What can I say? I'm a connoisseur of stationery. I'm a finder of gift wrap. I'm a complier of good books.
What can I say? I'm a connoisseur of stationery. I'm a finder of gift wrap. I'm a complier of good books.
What do you love to collect?


8 comments:
I miss those little people! We played with them at my Grandma's all the time! I'm kind of NOT a collector. I have a problem. I need to get a heart. I save NOTHING.
I like to keep issues of the magazines I subscribe to. When we moved last year I couldn't bear to throw away 5 years worth of Martha Stewart Living - like throwing away art! I gave them to my friend. She probably just tossed them, but at least I felt like I was salvaging them. PS I love those vintage Little People. You're right, they are so much better than the new ones.
When I was a girl, I loved pigs. I had quite the collection of them. I have since given up the pigs and moved on. I guess I would have to say I love fabric and have a moderate stash although others would say I have a lot. (They haven't seen what I have seen in others houses!) I love books as well. I also love Nativities. I have a small collection of those that I keep out year round and then surround myself at Christmas time with my whole collection. But more importantly, I love to collect dear friends. I love to have them be a part of my life. It makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong it is not my life's ambition to collect as many as I can but to embrace those that mean a lot to me. I hope that makes sense! I consider you one of those that makes my experience so much more enjoyable! :)
hey, my grandma has a ton of thimbles too! One of Noah's scout goals is to start a collection and he started collecting keys. It's actually quite cool. It's amazing how many unused keys we had just lying around. And I have to admit, now I want to buy keys, just for his collection!
I am not much of a collector either. I like scrapbook paper. If my creative juices could keep up with my desire to buy paper I would be in real trouble! If I could afford to collect shoes, I would do that too! But when it comes right down to it, I agree with Kate. I love to gather friends and enjoy spending days with good friends!
Books. I think we must have been brainwashed as children to buy books with any extra money we have. Ha! Mom actually gave me a framed quote that says, "When I have a little money I buy books. If any is left I buy food and clothes." It's hanging in my house over one of my bookshelves! :)
Everything else I throw away. Derek gives me a hard time about throwing away too much. Did I tell you I lost $400 cash that Derek gave me for Christmas to buy a camera? He's convinced I threw it away. Sigh. Hoarding is good sometimes!! :)
Oh my gosh! The snail collector is so cool! What an awesome guy. He must be the only one in world.
I collect books. At a slow, manageable rate, I collect refrigerator magnets -- each time my husband and I go somewhere on a trip. Other than that...wow, I don't think I have any interesting collections.
Wait! I collect antique sheet music. Then we take it to nursing homes and Peter plays it. That's pretty cool.
I have to tell JLJ something. I collect magazines I subscribe to too -- I have about 2 years' worth of Better Homes and Gardens and 1 year of Good Housekeeping and who knows how many Ensigns.
Here's my great idea that I discovered. Now when I read them, I cut them up! I pass by the uninteresting articles and cut out the good ones! I have a file cabinet with folders labeled things like "good ideas," "housecleaning tips," "recipes," "landscaping ideas," "furniture," "parenting tips" etc. When I have time, I do it to old issues too. Next time we move, I plan to not move any boxes of magazines.
Post a Comment