My husband and I had the opportunity to be a part of our stake's Pioneer Trek as members of the food committee. In a nutshell, our task was to feed around 440 youth plus about 100 adult leaders in the middle of a forest using whatever cooking gear that could be hauled up the side of a mountain.
Originally I was a little disappointed that we hadn't been called to be a "Ma & Pa," but afterwards I was so grateful for this calling instead. I was able to serve with some amazing people; I made new friendships and strengthened the ones I already had. And even though I didn't get to experience pulling the handcart across 23 miles of forest, I still had tender spiritual experiences that I will not forget.
*
Here are some of my favorite pictures:
*
Our food committee "Ma & Pa."
Can you imagine the stress of having to plan 7 hot meals to feed 550 people?
I love and respect these two so much!
Kindred Souls: My previous Bishop and his wife Lila.
If she had been a pioneer, she would have been one of those valiant women who we still hear stories about today!
One of our ward's handcarts pulling in after the first long day.
Have I told you about the softball league my husband and I joined?
In our extra time we played some catch.
This is what Caleb did in his spare time.

One of our ward's handcarts pulling in after the first long day.
In our extra time we played some catch.
Here is Gretchen braiding Amy's hair.
I asked my husband what he thought about my two french braids.
He replied, "I think they're camp-a-riffic."
Quiddler to be exact.
9 comments:
I loved our time together! One I will never forget! You both are some of my favorite people in the whole world! I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve with you and Ethan. We had a blast didn't we. I love you guys!
What a great experience!! How fun! I hope I get to go someday!
What an experience! I hope you got a little more sleep than you were expecting. You all look great in your pioneer clothes.
{In response to your two french braids I was expecting Ethan to make a polygamy joke :) }
This post made me wish I were there with you! Maybe someday!
So glad you were able to enjoy that experience! And such awesome folks to enjoy it with!
What an amazing experience. Looks like you guys had a great time too. :-)
I'm so glad you posted some pictures from Trek! I haven't seen ANY yet. It was fun to see you along the way. Hopefully you'll get to go with your kids in the years to come!
That is so cool, Erin! It makes me wish I could have come along.
I sooo want to be there for the next one. What an experience!
Post a Comment