Dear Miss Etiquette,
I need your advice. I've been cleaning out bins trying to clear up some much needed space. I came across a bin filled entirely with letters from friends and family during my college days. There are many that I'd like to keep however I'm not sure what to do with all the other letters.
I have a large stack of letters that were written by 13-14 year-old girls who I babysat when they were younger. I really haven't spoken with them for over 10 years. Would I offend them if I were to give them back now? What would I say?
I have more letters from friends who I don't even know where they are now. (I don't have a facebook account).
I've always thought it was shame to throw away letters that tell so much about a person's life but I just don't know what would be best to do with all of these.
I'd love to know your thoughts on the matter.
Sincerely,
Stationary Stationery
5 comments:
Hah! On a side note, I love your letter.
I think you should give them back. I doubt anyone thinks you're going to treasure letters from 13-year-old them, especially when you haven't talked to them in 10 years. On the other hand, what a sweet moment it might be for someone to suddenly get a glimpse into their own past.
Just tie them together and get a big rubber stamp that says RETURN TO SENDER.
Just kidding!
Maybe you could say,
Dear so-and-so,
I found these letters that you wrote me years ago and I thought you might like to have them as a part of your life history. I hope you're doing well.
Love,
Erin
As long as you don't sound apologetic, it won't seem offensive. That's what I think!
if there are some from me, I wont be sad if you chuck them. That's what I've done. you can only save these things for so long.
A few years ago I was doing the same thing and had a very thick stack of letters my brother sent me while on his mission. Maybe you would have kept these, maybe I should have, but when I get in the cleaning out mood everything starts to look like garbage. So anyway, I bundled the letters and sent them to him with a note about how much I had loved receiving them and how I thought they may mean more to him now. I don't know what I was expecting, but I he didn't call me when he got them. In fact it was several months later when I had to ask him if he had received them. He was very awkward about it and trying to mask his feelings, he attempted to joke, "So you didn't want them anymore?"
So. I don't know what to tell you. Good luck!
My two cents: They are your letters, if they don't make you feel wonderful knowing you have them in a box somewhere, throw them out. :)
Recycle or mail back. I returned letters once to a friend (letters from middle school were sent back after college), she LOVED it. Either way, never ever feel guilt about ditching something just because it was a gift. It's your life and your house, you choose what to put there.
Post a Comment