If you are ever feeling a little depressed thinking about all the things that need to get done and in need of some humor and maybe a little pick me up, you should try this.
Around 9:15 on a Saturday evening when you realize that you are having guests over for supper the following day and your cupboards look like Mother Hubbard's, go to Sprouts. Nevermind that you are already in your pajamas. They won't care.
As you wander around the produce aisles trying to decide what to serve, a man working to restock the fruit who looks like Geraldo Rivera will engage you in a conversation extolling the virtues of the Pinova apple compared to Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, and American Cameos. He will even be so kind as to cut off several pieces for you to try. Next he will instruct you as to how to pick out the best mexican papaya and help you pick out a cantaloupe. He is full of all kind of information for which you politely thank him and quickly head over to the bakery.
While perusing the breads, another member of the night crew approaches to offer his advice on cinnamon rolls, sweet breads, and trans fat. After talking long enough to make you feel uncomfortable, you make up an excuse to leave and proceed to the front of the store.
The clerk checking you out informs you that even though the store closes at 10:00 pm, he will actually walk out the door at 11:00.
You leave the store with a little smirk twitching the corners of your mouth. You're not too sure, but you think that you might have just been hit on--more than once!
Your husband will balk and roll his eyes and say that no one has ever offered him apple slices while at the grocery store and inwardly you will laugh trying to picture Geraldo giving your husband a pinova sample. But then the two of you will sit down together to eat one of the blessed apples and he will declare it to be the finest apple he's ever had!
And you will feel a little less down and out because as much as your husband adores and compliments you (which he does frequently!) doesn't it feel just a little flattering sometimes to be the receiver of such unexpected attention?
What do you think?
7 comments:
I think I need to go to Sprouts late at night in my PJs. I just don't think I will get the same attention that you did, but there is hope right! Love those honey crisp apples! :)
love it! once the fry's manager helped me find the chapstick, but it sounds like your experience was a little more rich! so funny.
Sounds like I need to expand my horizons, I've never even heard of a Pinova apple. (Although once the produce manager at Safeway cut open a watermelon for me and let me eat out of the middle to see if it was good. Yes, I felt very special. And no, I didn't dare say that it wasn't a good watermelon!)
This happened to me with kiwis at the local farmer's market! And after he peeled and cut one and we each ate half, he said, "Let's try another!" We ate two. I couldn't decide if I was being hit on or if he wanted an excuse to eat the kiwis. (They were really good.) I made a quick getaway too just in case. But I learned how to pick a good kiwi...you actually want the wrinkled ones.
Hmmm, what kind of 'pjs' were you wearing? :)
I've experienced the opposite recently. A young, and attractive waiter called me mam.
Yes, I've definitely had my share of being called "mam." It happens most often when I have 4 children surrounding me.
In all fairness I should point out that the night crew were neither young or attractive!
Chris always sends me to Home Depot because of the way I am treated versus the way he is treated. Especially when buying bricks. The men load them for me and give me extras, in case any are broken. For him they point them out and he has to load them himself. Hehehehe.
Post a Comment