Tuesday, March 16, 2010

THERE, BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, GO I

Yesterday while I was cleaning out the office, I came across a letter that I received a couple months ago and thought I would share this story with you. When I received this letter I was incredibly touched and humbled. I'm not sharing this to "toot my own horn" but to let you know that we usually never know how following the example of our Savior and showing kindess can make a difference in other's lives. I think it's more story of this man going out of his way to say Thank you rather than a story about me helping someone. This particular time, I was blessed to know the rest of the story...

Almost 2 months ago I was in line at Costco. There was an attractive man in front of me who looked to be in his late 50's. He was tall and tan with salt and pepper hair and was wearing a sweater with a polo underneath, nice jeans, and brown leather loafers. I remember looking at the way he was dressed and thinking he looked like a well-to-do retired person who golfed a lot.

As the worker at the register told him the total amount, he took cash out of his wallet and counted it.

He came up short.

I expected him to then just pull his wallet out and use a card instead of cash, but he paused for a moment, counted the money again, and then started looking at the things he had just bought. I realized he was trying to decide what to put back so that he would have enough money.

In my mind, came the voice of my bishop, "Act on every worthy thought."

My husband had just recently lost his job and I thought for a second that I needed the money more than this retired golfer, but the impression came again to help. I asked the man if he needed a little extra. I usually don't have cash but for some reason that day I had some in my back pocket. He said he was a couple dollars short and I took the money out and gave it to him.

He said Thanks and went on his way with a slight nod to me as he left.

I didn't think about it again until someone from Costco called to tell me that they had some money in an envelope for me that some guy said I loaned him. Since it had been two months ago, I had completely forgotten about it and was so confused. But the worker at Costco insisted it was me.

I went into Costco and the manager explained to me how the man had come in with his receipt from the transaction. The man told them that it had been one of the worst days he'd ever had. He told them about how he'd lost his job and was struggling. He told them about me and how he'd been so touched by my generous spirit. He wanted them to track me down using his receipt and the transaction number to deliver this letter plus a twenty dollar bill.

He let them read the letter so they knew he was on the up-and-up. The manager then spent quite awhile tracking down the receipt, member number, etc so he could contact me.

After reading his letter, I was so grateful that I listened to the Holy Ghost that day. It was a little thing for me that made a big enough difference to this man that he went to the trouble to track me down just to say thank you.

Here is his letter to me:

"ON NOVEMBER 15, 2009, I WAS AT COSTCO IN SOUTH GILBERT AND WAS $2 SHORT. YOU ARE THE PERSON THAT GAVE ME $2 WITHOUT EVEN A THOUGHT.

HERE IS WHAT YOU DID NOT KNOW.

I WAS AT THE LOWEST POINT I HAD EVER BEEN BEFORE. I HAD BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 7 MONTHS. I WAS STARTING A NEW JOB ON THE 23RD OF NOVEMBER AND WAS EXCITED TO GET STARTED. THE EMBARASSMENT I FELT THAT DAY I HOPE TO NEVER REPEAT AGAIN.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KINDNESS THAT DAY. WHILE YOU MAY THINK $2 WAS NOT VERY MUCH, IT IS YOUR DEED, AND NOT THE DOLLARS, THAT I AM GRATEFUL FOR AND I WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU AND REPAY THE KINDNESS.

SO YOU KNOW, COSTCO DID NOT REVEAL YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS TO ME. I GAVE THEM THIS AND A BLANK, STAMPED ENVELOPE. ALSO, I SHOWED THIS LETTER TO THE MANAGER AT COSTCO SO HE WOULD KNOW THERE WAS NOTHING OUT OF LINE WITH MY REQUEST TO THEM.

AGAIN, YOUR ACT OF KINDNESS HAS INSPIRED ME AND CAME AT A VERY LOW TIME IN MY LIFE. I NO LONGER JUDGE PEOPLE. "THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO I." AND YOUR ACT OF KINDESS. THANK YOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

9 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Erin, THANK YOU for sharing this wonderful and inspiring story. What an incredible example you are and I am SO grateful to be able to call you a friend. It is a AMAZING when we listen and do as the still small voice directs us to do what beautiful things can come to pass because of it:-)

JLJ said...

Great story. I read somewhere that when it comes to judging and serving we should always assume that the other person's heart is breaking. It seems like it's easier to show compassion when you know what kind of trouble a person is going through. What a nice treat to find that note yesterday. It always lifts my spirits to be reminded of good things I've done - to recall that I'm not always selfish helps me get over myself and be motivated to do more.

Ann said...

Awesome! Thank you for sharing! I love to hear stories that uplift and give a boost to the day. Thank you for being you!

Cheryl said...

You are truly the woman! I had a similar experience, only I didn't act on the prompting... I still regret not doing anything that day. I will certainly do better next time.

Lisa W said...

Thank you for sharing! Stories like this restore my faith in people. The world is full of good people. Sometimes that is easy to forget!

MJ said...

Very touching experience. I'm glad you shared it. It's really cool that you know how it affected him. What a real gift.

Robynne said...

What an awesome story Erin! Good for you for acting on that thought. Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

What an AMAZING experience. Thank you so much for sharing. My eyes welled up with tears as I read it.
You have always been so generous. What a wonderful example of following the spirit and that our Father in Heaven is always aware of our needs and often meets the needs of other through us. Thank You for sharing that experience--it makes me think and makes me want to do and be better!

Unknown said...

Awesome story - thanks for sharing!!