Sunday, February 14, 2010

DADDY DAUGHTER DANCE


My oldest daughter came home from school a week ago so excited about a daddy/daughter dance being sponsored by the PTSO. Knowing that my husband wouldn't be too keen on the idea I tried to downplay it, but she persisted. Realizing that it would mean a lot to her, my husband told them he would take them to the dance.

On the day of the dance, the first thing my daughter asked after walking in the door from school is if she could go shower to get ready for the dance. She painted her nails too. She had been looking forward to it all week long.

After the dance, they couldn't stop talking about it: the punch and cookies, the music, the other guests there, and the roses their dad bought them.

I've been thinking about their special date too. A few months ago my son came home with a flyer for a mother/son evening of hot dogs and watching "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" in the gym. It sounded terrible to me so I put it off and said that we would do something different another night.

I wonder now what I missed. My husband was with the girls for 2 hours and made lasting memories with them.

I was with a friend this week who was telling me about her daughter's high school soccer game. She goes to all her games, know the rules, and cheers her on. The thought came to me that she probably didn't know much about soccer before her daughter started playing but she does all that because she loves her daughter.

I have another friend who can tell you anything you want to know about guns: different kinds, bullets, range, etc. I asked her if she has always been interested in them and she said, "No, but I realized after I got married that if I wanted to spend more time with my husband then I better learn all about what he loves to do." And she did.

I'm going to be more like that. I'm going to try to show more interest in the things my children like and want to do. Then hopefully one day my son can look back and remember the time we sat on the gym floor eating gross hot dogs and watching some dumb movie and say, "my mom must have really loved me."

5 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

What a fun thing to do AND how adorable that she got all ready, nails and everything:-) I need to be better at this too.

Staci said...

So true. I think we all remember the little things. They mean a lot.

Tilleea said...

way to go "husband"! Glad they had fun. I, like you always think those nights sound torture, and convince my kids to go to the park or swimming instead. I guess we'll just have lots and lots and lots and lots of swimming memories. :)

Ann said...

You are one of my favorite people! I love you and your family so much! You inspire me all the time. Thank you for your sweet words!

Marianne said...

Seriously..I so needed to hear this today. Erin you are the best!