
Being an AZ native, I remember how astounded I was after moving to UT and experiencing a true fall where the leaves change color and the air is cold. I spent almost 8 years away from AZ witnessing the miracles of Autumn in Utah and New Jersey.
Now that I'm back in the valley of the sun this is usually my first clue that Fall has arrived:
We live in a neighborhood where the HOA requires the front yards to be reseeded with winter grass. Apparently all my neighbors decided this was the perfect weekend to do that (we missd the memo), so when I went outside this morning the entire place smelled like manure.
I guess I should explain. When reseeding your lawn, if you just cover the grass with seeds then the birds will swarm your yard and eat all of it. And even as dumb as birds may seem, most of them don't enjoy taking their meals while standing in poop. Hence the manure covering all the lawns.
Now all I need is a cold or flu to experience that mentholated sinus feel and I will know that Autumn has truly arrived!
Now that I'm back in the valley of the sun this is usually my first clue that Fall has arrived:
We live in a neighborhood where the HOA requires the front yards to be reseeded with winter grass. Apparently all my neighbors decided this was the perfect weekend to do that (we missd the memo), so when I went outside this morning the entire place smelled like manure.
I guess I should explain. When reseeding your lawn, if you just cover the grass with seeds then the birds will swarm your yard and eat all of it. And even as dumb as birds may seem, most of them don't enjoy taking their meals while standing in poop. Hence the manure covering all the lawns.
Now all I need is a cold or flu to experience that mentholated sinus feel and I will know that Autumn has truly arrived!
5 comments:
You didn't get the memo? Huh. That's funny. We did our grass this weekend too. But I hadn't heard about the manure. Good idea.
That is too funny!
That is definitely a crisp smell.
Call me crazy but I almost like the smell of fresh manure because it means that the weather has finally cooled down enough for overseeding! Funny how living in the desert for a long time will do funny things to your brain!
Post a Comment