Sunday, May 3, 2009

THE SESAME STREET GENERATION

When I was younger I watched Sesame Street. I didn't really like it, but it was way better than Mr. Roger's neighborhood (what was up with those freaky puppets?) and it seemed to be on ALL THE TIME. I liked Wallace & Ladmo, but only the cartoon parts. I would sit there watching them pass out those stupid Ladmo bags to the nerd cub-scouts and wish they'd just play Tom & Jerry already (and even at 5 I knew something was seriously wrong with Gerald).

I had a big Sesame Street record that I'd play on my Fisher-Price Record player, and I knew all the songs by heart.


Sesame Street is still on TV today. I see Bert & Ernie shoes & Big Bird shirts and I just assumed that my kids were familar with the characters. So this converstation with my 8 year old girl just struck me as funny.


#2: Today for fun Friday we watched some movie about Big Bird going to China. Big Bird took a boat to China but that green trash guy tried to dig a hole to China.


Me: That green trash guy? Do you know what his name is?


#2: No, why should I know his name?


Me: Was it Oscar......?


#2: Um yeah, I think so.


Me: Oscar.....the.......?


#2: Um............Oscar the...................................................grouch?


Me: (Way too excited) Yeah! Why is he called Oscar the Grouch?


#2: (Completely uninterested) I don't know. Because he needs a nap?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is really funny. I forget sometimes what shows the kids watch and what characters they know and don't know. I assume that since I know the characters who were such a part of my childhood that my children would know them simply because they're children.