This past weekend my husband ran in the Salt Lake City Marathon! Last December several of the men with whom he works decided that they should all participate. My Angelbabe originally thought he would train for the half marathon but changed his mind in January and began training for the full marathon. He will be the first to tell you that he hadn't run more than 200 yards since high school, and I was surprised that after only a few weeks he was going on 5-8 mile runs and doing very well.
I briefly considered training with him but after 3 nights of running I knew there was no way I'd be ready by April for even a half marathon.
Several people asked why I didn't go with him. I really would have liked to go except there were several reasons to keep me home like the cost of the trip, taking care of the kids, and the fact that this was a "guy thing." (Hence, not a single picture!)
I anxiously waited Saturday morning to hear from him. He finished with a time of 4 hours 31 minutes. It wasn't as good as he had done during training and I think he was a little disappointed but relieved to be finished. I don't care what anyone else says, the elevation certainly must play a role plus there were lots of hills going up and down and he had only trained on flat ground.
After he returned home our family went to dinner to celebrate. As we were walking into the restaurant I looked back at him and chuckled.
He said, "What? Are you laughing because of what I'm wearing?" (He was wearing sweatpants and a T-shirt)
"Umm, No I'm laughing because you're walking like an old man!"
Anyone else looking at him would have no idea that just that morning he had ran 26.2 miles in Salt Lake City. I'm so proud of him. It's a big accomplishment. One of those things that people do so they can "cross it off their list." Congratulations Babe!
Even though he's still pretty sore, he's already talking about the next one. He's even suggested that I might train for one or even a half. My response?
No thank you. I've already "ran" 4 marathons. I've had 4 children. I know what it feels like to push yourself harder than you've ever been pushed before. I've been big and pregnant and hit that wall where I didn't think I could go any further. I've been stretched and exhausted. I've felt that high that comes after holding my new little one in my arms knowing that I had finished. And after 4 long races, my memory is good enough to know that that is one marathon I never want to run again. But who knows, just because I don't want to doesn't mean I won't.
Maybe it's time to move on to new marathons and with my husband's help I may begin training for a new challenge that doesn't involve stretch marks.
5 comments:
Congratulations, Ethan! Way to go! Seriously, that is really impressive. I have been thinking of doing a "mini" triathalon this summer, but 5K is the most I can handle to think of running!
Wow, I am in awe of anyone who can run a marathon. What an accomplishment. Like you, I have no desire whatsoever to do one -- I had twins, that was marathon enough.
When I saw the heading I was going to be bummed that you were so close and I didn't get to see you. But I now see that you were the babysitter at home. Good job Ethan! You should do a running marathon too. I wish Kemery could run with me but he has crappy knees.
congrats ethan! I can't believe you did that and came home in the same day, must've been the most uncomfortable flight ever!
Congratulations hubster!! I know why he was walking like an old man. I hope you got him a good massage. There is a great 1/2 marathon in the fall right here in phoenix you may want to consider.
Post a Comment